BECOME A MENTEE
Rising Fifth- through Eleventh-graders with a minimum 2.0 GPA (C Average) are eligible for participation in the program. Upon successful completion of an application process, students gain admission to the program.
Note: Movement of Youth prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program.
The Movement of Youth program will provide selected students with:
- Team Mentoring to help with the achievement of long-term goals and aspirations. College students from across the country apply annually to become mentors and friends for students in the Movement of Youth program. These close relationships provide students with access to a student scholar who offers knowledge about how to successfully apply to and excel in college.
- Fun Saturday Leadership Academy sessions twice a month during the school year. These activities are fun and are built to challenge students in various ways intellectually, physically and socially.
- In-state and out-of-state College Tours to expose participants to college life.
- A variety of Summer Enrichment Academies to reinforce knowledge learned at Leadership Academy sessions during the regular school year.
- Opportunities for international travel via the J.U.S.T. Global Fellowship.
- Assistance applying for college scholarships, including the Tyreic E. Hemphill Memorial Scholarship.
This initiative will change and grow with continual involvement. Beyond the satisfaction of successfully reaching the goals of the program, this experience will reflect strongly in students’ career and life endeavors.